This is an interesting tour that embraces the most iconic artworks in Caracas. You can choose the places listed below and we can make it happen in one or more days. We recommend choosing no more than 4 places in one day to be able to enjoy each place at its fullest with no rush:
UCV (Central University of Venezuela) – Aula Magna
- Plaza El Rectorado:
The Rector’s Square of the UCV (originally La Plaza Vacía) is the name that receives a space located inside the University City of Caracas where the Central University of Venezuela works, in the parish San Pedro of the Municipality Libertador in the Capital District to West of the city of Caracas. It is an emblematic area of the university since there are activities of all kinds: cultural, academic, political, social, etc. It is in front of the Rectorate of the Central University of Venezuela and the Clock Tower of the UCV. As part of the UCV is a World Heritage Site since 2000. It is accessible from Plaza Venezuela through Puerta Tamanaco. It was inaugurated on December 2, 1953 under the dictatorship of General Marcos Pérez Jiménez and with the design of Francisco Narváez, originally planned as a parking lot. (Source: Wikipedia).
- Plaza cubierta del Rectorado:
The Plaza Cubierta is between the Rectorate and the Aula Magna. From it, the northeast entrance to the Rectorate’s entrance lobby, to the Land of Nobody, to the northwest to the Paraninfo Building, to the west, across the street, to the Anatomy Institute Building, and to the southwest Communicates with the Covered Hall, which goes to the ticket offices of the Aula Magna and then to the Central Library. To the south, it borders the north and northwest of the Aula Magna.
- Aula Magna:
The Aula Magna of the Central University of Venezuela is located within the University City of Caracas (which was declared World Heritage of Humanity on November 30, 2000 by the UNESCO World Heritage Committee1) and is the most important auditorium Of this study house because it is the largest auditorium of the University City with a capacity of approximately 2,700 people (there are removable seats); Being also the main building of the project of Synthesis of the Arts carried out by the architect Carlos Raul Villanueva. It has held academic, artistic and political events; Some of them of great importance for the country and that have been historical reference of the national happening.
The responsibility for the construction of the Aula Magna was granted by the company “Christiani & Neilsen” and the contract for its execution was celebrated on November 28, 1952, which established the culmination of the structural work for March 31, 1953, That is, the work should be completed in just 4 months. Indeed the work was completed in March of the 53, as it had demanded the General Marcos Perez Jiménez. The room was baptized and released on December 3, 1953 (in a small ecclesiastical and protocolary act), but officially inaugurated on March 2, 1954 with the opening of the X Ibero-American Conference of Heads of State and Government.
- Biblioteca Central:
Is the name given to the main and most important Library of the University City of Caracas, located in Libertador Municipality, west of the Metropolitan District of Caracas, and in the north of the South American country of Venezuela.
The current building is the work of the Venezuelan architect Carlos Raúl Villanueva who designed it in the 1950s, but the institution has its antecedents in the Seminary of Santa Rosa de Lima and in the Real and Pontifical University of Caracas.
It is easily accessible from any point of the city since it is near the station of line 3 of the Caracas Metro, called Ciudad Universitaria.
In January 2012, it initiated a process of recovery and modernization of the library for 17 million Bs. (2.7 million dollars), which covered much of the infrastructure including the books stored there.
- Tierra de Nadie:
“The Land of Nobody” is the name of a public space consisting of a series of green areas within the grounds of the University City of Caracas where the Central University of Venezuela works, in the parish San Pedro, Libertador Municipality west of the City of Caracas and the north of Venezuela. It receives this name as a space that does not belong to any of the faculties that surround it, but rather is a space shared by the entire university community. Among the spaces bordering on no man’s land are the Rector’s Square of the UCV, the Aula Magna building, the Central Library of the UCV, the dining room of the UCV and various faculties (Engineering, Humanities, Economic and Social Sciences among others). In the area, there are various monuments, plants and walks. It is one of the most recognized meeting centers within the University. (Source: Wikipedia).
It was designed by Arthur Kahn, the architect of the Altamira building of the Plaza Francia who arrived in Venezuela in July 1942, Venezuelan by nationalization, with almost 70 years of residence in the country. He was born in Istanbul, Turkey, on October 10, 1910. It was built by the urbanist Luis Roche, one of the greatest builders of that time, within the Altamira Urbanization Project, a well-off sector of the Chacao municipality of Miranda State.
Plaza Francia, popularly called “Plaza Altamira”
It was built at the beginning of the 1940s and inaugurated on August 11, 1945 under the name “Plaza Altamira”. Later his name changed to Plaza Francia after an agreement between the cities of Caracas and Paris to have a Plaza Francia in Caracas and a Plaza Venezuela in Paris. It stands out in the Plaza, the Obelisk of Altamira, symbol of the Municipality Chacao, the Mirror of Water and a fountain that falls towards the bottom of the square that has become a small commercial center and the main exit of the Metro of Caracas in the Station Altamira. Prior to 1940, the Altamira area was an agricultural estate called El Paraíso, 110 hectares, with large crystalline creeks Pajaritos, Quebrada Seca and Quintero or Chacao ravine, tributaries of the Guaire River, which descended from north to south from the mountain That limits to the north the city of Caracas called the Hill the Avila. The Plaza Altamira was conceived as center of attraction towards this new urbanization. Three of its sides pass great avenues (South: Av. Fco. Miranda / East: Av. Luis Roche / West: Av. San Juan Bosco). It should be noted that its obelisk was at the time the highest construction of the city. (Source: Wikipedia).
Complejo Simón Bolívar and its museums:
The Simón Bolívar Center (CSB) was a Venezuelan state company assigned to the Vice Presidency of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, dedicated to the planning, construction, improvement and administration of urban works of public interest for the city of Caracas. He began functions on February 27, 1947 when the Avenida Bolívar Works Company was created as part of a larger Urbanization project (Plan Rotival). The 29 of December of 1953 its scope of action is extended.
Among his most important works are:
Las Torres del Silencio – The Towers of Silence
Complejo Simón Bolívar – Central Park Complex
Urbanización El Silencia – Urbanization El Silencio
Complejo Cultural Teresa Carreño – Teresa Carreño Cultural Complex
Complejo Residencial Plaza Sucre – Residential Complex Plaza Sucre (Catia)
Ateneo de Caracas
Avenida Bolívar – Bolivar Avenue
Parque del Oeste Jovito Villalba – West Park Jóvito Villalba
Palacio de Justicia de Caracas – Palace of Justice of Caracas
Parque Residencial Juan Pablo II – John Paul II Residential Park
Hotel Alba Caracas
The national government, in accordance with the provisions of Decree No. 7,192, published in the Official Gazette of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela No. 39,355 dated January 27, 2010, within the framework of the creation of the Ministry of State for the Revolutionary Transformation of The Greater Caracas, orders the suppression and liquidation of the company CSB and resolves to designate the members of the Liquidation Board of CENTRO SIMÓN BOLÍVAR, CA. (Source: Wikipedia).
Centro Cultural La Estancia:
The Centro de Arte La Estancia (Officially PDVSA Centro de Arte La Estancia) is a cultural center in Caracas located in an old colonial hacienda. The institution has among its functions the restoration, promotion and diffusion of Venezuelan historical and artistic heritage. Its purpose is to support social development programs and strengthen national cultural identity.
In its spaces are important exhibitions of national and international art, related to photography, design, and three-dimensional art. Theater, 1 concerts, seminars, contests and conferences are also held. It has a garden that counts more than 120 botanical species.
Casa del Libertador:
The House of Simón Bolívar or Casa Natal del Libertador is the place where Simón José Antonio of the Holy Trinity Bolívar and Ponte Palacios y Blanco was born, better known as the Liberator Simón Bolívar on July 24, 1783. The house is located between Corners of San Jacinto to Trapezes in the Parish Cathedral of Caracas. Today it is a museum that preserves some original pieces of the house and some garments of the Liberator. The 25 of July of 2002 is declared National Monument.
La Esfera de Caracas de Jesús Rafael Soto:
The emblematic Sphere Caracas, the work of the Master Jesus Soto, was delivered totally rehabilitated as a Christmas gift for the citizens of Caracas, on December 23, 2014, thanks to the execution of the Sphere Project Caracas Vision 360 °.
For no one is a secret that the Caracas Sphere, the Orange Sphere, or the Sphere of Soto – names with which this beautiful work is also known – shines in the midst of the transit of a city that pulsates from East to West, from North to South. In addition, it manages to steal the glances of a city that appreciates its splendor with vision of 360 °.
The project of recovery of the work was carried out by the national government through Pdvsa La Estancia, which again recapitulates with pride about what surrounds the rehabilitation of the structure.
More details about this icon in the city:
-The relocation or repositioning of the Caracas Sphere (12 meters high) warranted to move the structure 13.64 meters from its original place so that the work could be better appreciated from the four cardinal points.
-These works were carried out in parallel to the expansion of the expressway executed by the Ministry of Popular Power for Land Transport and Public Works through the Solution Solutions Road for Greater Caracas as the distributor “Santa Cecilia”.
-The Soto Sphere Rehabilitation and Repositioning Project was carried out in a record time of 120 days.
– Hand in hand with the Soto Foundation, replicas of each of the rods (1,800) were made taking care of the restoration of each one, to be able to replace them in the future without needing to carry out more complex future works.
-The relocation and restoration project of the Caracas Sphere consisted of three fundamental objectives: the installation of a better and more updated custody security system for the structure (electric fence); Reduction of lighting to contribute to energy saving. Construction of a hydropneumatics system that will allow the irrigation of the green areas that are located around the artistic piece.
-The investment was 28 million bolivars. (Source: Globovisión web).
Abra Solar de Alejandro Otero en Pza. Venezuela:
It is part of a series of sculptures on an urban scale by Alejandro Otero and together with “Aguja Solar” he represented Venezuela at the 1982 Venice Biennial. A year later, the sculpture was placed in Plaza Venezuela as part of the integrated works of art to the urban space by the Metro of Caracas. It is an imposing structure of aluminum and metal that originally appeared to be inconsistent with the space in which it was located. However, the work was made into space and became a visual landmark of the city and the area, which has a high traffic road. 33 butterflies or aluminum and metal blades make up the piece. Their design makes them spin with the wind so that movement is essential to the work.
Obras de Carlos Cruz Diez en Pza Venezuela y el Aeropuerto:
Concave-Convex Fisicrometry – Plaza Venezuela
Tribute to Don Andrés Bello, Plaza Andrés Bello, Caracas, Venezuela. Architect Manolo Silveira. This emblematic work for the capital city. At the end of the year 2007, PDVSA carried out restoration works of this mural, which due to the avatars of time had lost its particular beauty, the ceramics were made in our furnaces.
Mural Name: Concave-convex Fisichromia. Tribute to Don Andrés Bello
Artist: Carlos Cruz Diez
Size: Dim 3,60 m height x 38 m double makes (3 15/16 x 41 9/16 yd)
Cromointerferencia de Color Aditivo – Aeropuerto Internacional de Maiquetía
Of all his works, we would like to highlight the exhibit at the International Airport of Maiquetía Simón Bolívar (Additive Color Chromium Interference, 1974-1978), which occupies an area of 2,608 square meters, which has become an emblem and a sign of identification for US. Since it began in advertising, more than sixty years ago, Cruz-Diez has internationalized Venezuelan art. It has revolutionized the way you see color and has broadened viewers’ perceptions. At almost 93 years old, he is still a prolific artist and has enough energy to continue creating at an accelerated pace. “
The colorful work of the Venezuelan artist located in the Maiquetía airport is the photographic scene for those who leave Venezuela and do not waste the opportunity to photograph their feet or passport on the blue, black, red and yellow of the floor and the walls of the airport.
Museo de la Estampa de Carlos Cruz Diez:
The Museo de la Estampa y Diseño Carlos Cruz Diez or simply Cruz Diez, is a museum of Caracas, Venezuela located on the Paseo Vargas Avenue Bolivar in the center of that city. It takes its name in honor to the Venezuelan artist Carlos Cruz Diez. It was inaugurated in 1997 to exhibit works by Cruz Diez and other modernist artists. The building designed by the architect Horacio Corser, has four levels in an area of 2,406 m². The museum has about 2,500 pieces dedicated to the art of printing and design.1 Its access can be made by means of the Metro of Caracas in the stations Nuevo Circo or Parque Carabobo and by public or private transport through the avenue Bolivar.